PYTHIAN CASTLE HISTORY
Pythian Castle - 20 N. Court Street
"Benjamin Evard Kepner, an architect responsible for many early 20th-century buildings in Frederick, designed the Pythian Castle in 1912 for a local fraternal organization. The horizontal banding and castle-like elements of this façade incorporates the Gothic Revival and Beaux Art styles. With a balanced presence, it dominates the narrow North Court Street without overcrowding it. While exploring the city, pay attention to themes and motifs such as the castle-like detailing and colored brick seen here; these stylish elements appear on other buildings in the historic downtown."
-The City of Frederick Maryland, An Architectual Walking Tour Guide.
3x4 sepia print of Gov. Albert Ritchie and David Winebrenner in front of the Pythian Castle Building on North Court Street, Frederick, Md.